I have a free range turkey this year. I had to freeze it because I got it way too early, but it will still be good when it is cooked. I can almost smell it cooking. I am so looking forward to the turkey meal.
There is a large bag of apples on my counter waiting to be made into pies. They have been there over a week now, calling my name everyday. I wanted the pies to be fresh for Thanksgiving so there they sit for another day or so.
The family is busy doing things they wish for most of the weekend. They will all be at my house on Monday for Lupper. That is somewhere between lunch and supper. I have all the fixings. This and Christmas are the two meals that I go all out for. Everyone gets their favoirtes. There will be squash, sweet potatoes, regular mashed and of course dressing. Carrots, parsnip and turnip will round out the vegetables.
Along with those apple pies mentioned above there will also be a cherry and a pumpkin pie. It would not be Thanksgiving if there was not a pumpkin pie, even though I am the only one that eats it.
So what do I have to be thankful for?
- My family we may be small but I love them all
- my writing – nothing published yet but things are looking up
- my day job which sustains me while I start my writing career
- my fur babies – they are always there to listen
- and most of all the good fortune to be able to get out of bed every morning and do it all over again
Happy Thanksgiving everyone, and until next time: work hard, play hard, laugh often and make time for reading vacations for the soul.